Friday, October 7, 2011

Quite an Adventure

Well, we made here safely. It was a short flight to DC and then a reasonably short flight to Frankfurt (six and a half hours). After that is when the adventure really began. The flight to Chennai was going to be about 8 or 9 hours - a real long time to say the least. We were about five minutes away from landing when there was an announcement that we couldn't land in Chennai. Something happened on the runway that prohibited us from landing there. We spent the next hour or so circling around. Up until this point I had been sleeping quite a bit, I actually slept through dinner they served on the plane. It was about midnight local time at this point and I ended up falling back asleep. I woke up when we landed and got up because I assumed we had arrived. Turns out we had been diverted to Bangalore to refuel and wait for the runway in Chennai to clear up. Needless to say this wasn't a very fun experience, but hey, what can you do?

We got to the airport in Chennai at about 4:30 am and went through customs without any problems. It was pretty slow with 20 people but there no setbacks. Coming out of the airport was insane. It was bout 6 in the morning at this point and there were mobs of people there. It is truly hard to explain what it's like. We met up with the representatives from MCC and they drove us to campus. All four of the representatives are very nice and accommodating. They had a small breakfast ready when we got here. Since then I have cleaned up, unpacked, and we began exploring the campus. I think we are going to be relaxing and getting our bearings straight this weekend - then start classes and lectures back on Monday.

I don't know how to upload pictures on to this thing (using an iPad) but I can post some on my Facebook. It doesn't look like any American college but it's still really nice. It might not have Furman amenities but it will be a great place to spend five weeks.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I'll do my best to post often.

Love,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment